It Penang month.Penang is one of my favourite state because there got a lot of delicious food.I love it so much.Never miss Asam Laksa,Rojak and Hokkien Mee.
In Seremban and Kuala Lumpur we did not call it Hokkien Mee.We call it Prawn Noodle.Here Hokkien Mee is fried yellow noodle with dark soy sauce.
I remember the 1st time I go to Penang,my sister order a Hokkien Mee and come noodle with soup.She go tell the hawker that he give wrong noodle and the hawker told her you order Hokkien Mee,right?This is Hokkien Mee lor....Then my sister told him Hokkien Mee is black colour noodle and no soup....Then my our god-brother told her in Penang,Hokkien Mee is Prawn Noodle...Hahaha....
Recipe source : DIY Hawker's Noodle Cookbook by Mdm.Cheong & Mdm.Koh
300g yellow noodles (wash&scald)
200g mee hoon (soak&scald)
100g bean sprouts (wash&scald)
100g kangkung ( wash&scald then snipped)
300g pork belly
4 hard-boiled eggs
50g rock sugar
1/2tsp ajinomoto (option)
600g pork ribs
6 cups water
Chilli Paste Ingredients
( A )
300g dried chilli
( B )
150g pork fat (diced)
15 shallots (sliced)
3tbsp chilli paste from ( A )
some deep-fry pork fat and sauté shallot flakes
Method for chilli paste
- Soak dried chilli with water.
- Pour away the water and blend the dried chilli with enough water until become paste.Set aside.( You can keep the extra chilli paste in fridge for next time use.)
- Heat some oil and deep fry pork fat to get pork oil.
- Then remove the deep-fried pork fat.Set aside for garnish.
- Use the pork oil to sauté slices shallots until crispy,remove the shallots flakes and set aside for garnish.
- Use back the oil and add in the chilli paste from ( A ),stir-fry until fragrant.Dish out and set aside.
- Blanched pork ribs in boiling water to remove blood,drian.
- Pour 5 cups of water into a large pot,add in pork ribs.Simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Then add in the pork belly,blanch for 10 min or until cooked.Remove and sliced thinly.Set aside.Continue simmer stock with low heat.
- Blanched the prawns with remaining 1 cup water,dish out and remove the prawn's shell.Set the prawn meat aside.Keep the prawn stock and shell.
- Heat some oil,stir-fry the prawn's shell until fragrant,add in prawn's stock.Blend until smooth,strain it to obtain prawn stock.
- Pour the prawn stock into rib stock and boil it for a while.
- Add in 1 tbsp. chilli paste.Mix well.
- Place some yellow noodle and mee hoon in a large bowl.Then spread in bean sprouts,kangkung,sliced pork belly,prawn and egg.
- Pour in soup and garnish with deep-fried pork and shallot flakes.
- Add in some chilli paste according to own liking.
- Serve hot.
I am submitting this post to Malaysia Food Fest, Penang month,
hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodies