My Blog List

Thursday, 3 January 2013

Siew Pau-Roasted Bun



Seremban,my lovely town.See Seremban I can sure everyone got one thing in mind...SEREMBAN SIEW PAU.
Siew pau is a roasted bun with pork or chicken filling.The skin is crispy and fragrant with sweet and salty filling.If you come to Seremban but didn't bring back Siew Pau,you will regret.Hahaha...........


As I know many recipe in Internet,they'll put green peas.But Seremban version is don't have green peas.For me I like Seremban version,that without green peas.Hope you will like my version.

Ingredients
Recipe source : Catherine Chia
Pastry method source : My Kitchen Snippets

Pastry
( A )
200g flour
60g butter-I use salted butter
25g sugar
120ml water

( B )
160g flour
100g shortening

Method
  • Mix well flour and butter of pastry (A),then add in sugar and water.Knead into dough (A).
  • Mix well pastry (B),knead to a dough (B).
  • Leave dough (A) and (B) for 30 min.
  • Divide the both dough into 20 equal pieces.
  • Wrap the dough (B) into dough (A) and flatten it.
  • Roll the dough into long flat piece and roll it up like swiss roll.
  • Put the dough 90 deg and roll into flat again and roll up like swiss roll again.
  • Put it in fridge for 30 min. ( update on 4/1/2013)
  • Then press dough with palm and lightly roll out into a circle.
  • Place 1tbsp filling on the dough.
  • Wrap and pleat into pau shape.
  • Brush some egg fluid on surface.Put some sesame seed on top.
  • Bake for 20-25 min at 180'C.
Filling
500g pork or chicken meat-I minced it.
1no. onion
some cooking oil

Seasoning
1tsp salt
1tbsp sugar
1tbsp oyster sauce
1tsp light soy sauce
1tsp dark soy sauce
1tsp sesame oil
1/2tsp white pepper
pinch of five spice powder
some water

Gravy
1/2 tbsp corn starch
1tbsp water

Method
  • Heap up some oil,saute onion till fragrant.
  • Add in the meat and fry for a while.
  • Add in seasoning and some water.
  • Fry until a bit dry up.
  • Add in gravy.
  • Turn off the heat and remove.
  • Leave to cool.


Step by step picture.



I am submitting this post to Malaysia Food Fest ,Negeri Sembilan month,
Host by Hody Loh of Cook 4 you & me

10 comments:

  1. Hi, I noticed that you use butter instead of shortening for water dough. Any difference in terms of taste and texture? If I substitute shortening with butter as well for oil dough, will it works? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you also can use shortening.butter give the skin more fragrant.

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing! How long did the whole process take you? 2 3 hours? Longer? And since you are using butter, is the dough temperature sensitive like puff pastry or short crust pastry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 3 hours.I forget to write.before wrap the filling.put the pastry in fridge for 30 min....

      Delete
  3. Hi Hody, some siew pau looks very oily and hard. Yours look so good and the filling is very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hody, I also prefer without the green peas, leh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hody, I love eating Seremban siew pau! Never fail to buy some whenever I see a stall selling them...been a while since I last make some....will try your version this weekend if I am free:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder, how long I can keep this after cooking and how about the storage? In fridge? or normal room temperature?

    ReplyDelete